Events and News
tractorguy horse event7 pony events1 event8 event6 event5 event3 event4 event2 chickens band animaldemo


    The Blakeley Garrison FlagThe Blakeley Garrison Flag is on display at the Baldwin County Central Annex located at 22251 Palmer Street in Robertsdale.

    Viewing hours are from 8:00 - 4:30 each weekday.
    Information is available at the main entrance office.

    The Blakeley Flag Story

    On the afternoon of 9 April 1865, Federal Troops under the command of General ERS Canby and General F. Steele made a full scale assault on a portion of the Mobile defenses known as Fort  Blakeley. The intent was to break through the formidable defenses and force the City of Mobile to surrender.

    In the area of Redoubt 4, Union troops from Ohio  and Illinois  over-ran Confederate defenses and pressed toward the Blakeley Landing. Somewhere around 6:00 p.m., with the landing under Federal control, Captain Henry Miller of the 8th Illinois Infantry, lowered the large Confederate flag in front of the old Blakeley Courthouse. The story goes that Miller turned the flag over to a sergeant with instructions to deliver it back to Major Daniel Sayer “with his compliments”.  This cavalier action was meant to signify that Miller’s troops had captured the landing and the rear areas of supply and command posts.

    Captain Miller was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his capture of the Flag. Major Sayer for whatever reason kept the Flag in his possession as a trophy of  War. Ultimately the Flag was turned over to Governor Small of Illinois  by Sayer’s son in 1925.

    The Battle of Blakeley tragically took place at the same instant that General Robert E. Lee was surrendering the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Courthouse. In essence the War Between The States was drawing to a close and one is left to contemplate the tragedy of those killed and wounded during this last large scale battle.

     
    Guarding the ColorsOn May 10, 2008 The Blakeley Garrison Flag was officially welcomed home to Baldwin County in  a ceremony held at the Baldwin County Central Annex in Robertsdale where the flag remains on display.  Members of the Baldwin County community as well as representatives of the Alabama National Guard and historical re-enactors from all over the region were on hand to dedicate the flag.

    The return of the Blakeley Garrison Flag to Baldwin County was made possible by the generous contributions by Baldwin County residents and others devoted to the conservation and restoration of this regions wonderful heritage.  A special thanks to donors include:

    Union Officer
    The Military Order of Stars and Bars Headquarters, The Stephen R. Mallory Camp 1315 - Sons of Confederate Veterans, The Fort Balakeley Camp 1864 Sons of Confederate Veterans, The Charles S. Stewart Chapter 239 - United Daughters of the Confederacy, The Sons of Confederate Veterans - Colorado Division, The Military Order of Stars and Bars - Major Chatham R. Wheat Chapter 297, the 21st Alabama, Robertsons/Dents Battery, James Mitchell, Ernest Mitchell, Chris Mitchell, Kit Caffey, Terry Smith, George Carlson, Steve Phillips, Henry Skinner, Alan Rowe, Sara Ragsdale, Howard W. Whitted, Charles Bradford, James Houghton, Tom Newsham, Lawrence, McAdams, Leslie O'Gwin, R.L. Smith, Aubrey Yarborough, Harold Koons, Joe Hendrickson, Paul Przyborski, Shane Prince, Tom McMillan, John McMillan, George R. Smith, Michael Shipler, William G. Patterson, Shirley A. Patterson, Andie Meyers, Linda Wending, John P. Meyers, Royal D. Meyers, David Meyers, Tom Millette, Harold Biggs, Lynne Biggs, D. Harold Biggs, Fannia Pursley, Jimmie McCullough, Mike Gentry, Allen Daniels, Jim Cooper, Sue Cooper, Adam L. Till, Ken Underwood, Helen Underwood, Sharon Marsh, Thomas Rhodes, A. Lee Swetma, Mrs. Taylor Wilkins

     
     Special Thanks to:

    • Illinois National Guard
    • Illinois Military History Museum
    • Alabama National Guard
    • The Baldwin County Commission
    • The Baldwin County Historic Development Commission
    • Mr. Jim Mitchell
    • Mr. Ed Stanfield
    • Mr. Henry Skinner

    Union Color Guard

    Confederate Color Guard