RESIDENTIAL PERMIT REQUIREMENTS
WHAT INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO GET A PERMIT?
Here is a checklist of information needed and documents required as you apply for a Residential Building Permit application:
- Property Owner Contact Information - names on deed, address, phone number, email address
- Contractor Contact Information - business name, address, phone number, email address
- Detailed Scope of Work - detailed description of what work will be done, what methods will be used, what materials will be used, etc.
- Job Valuation - the cost of labor and material for the project. Only include valuation for the specific type of permit; for example, for a Building Permit for a new house - do not include the cost of electrical, mechanical, and plumbing because those will be separate permits.
- Parcel Number – locate on the property tax bill or contact local Revenue Commissioner office: North Baldwin 251-937-0245; South Baldwin 251-972-6819; Eastern Shore 251-990-4627; can also search for parcel # online at www.deltacomputersystems.com/al/al05/pappraisala.html
- Address Verification Letter – required for all new construction; must first have parcel number, then submit request for the letter online at www.baldwin911.org
- Proof of Ownership – a copy of the current tax bill or the recorded deed; can search online for deeds at www.deltacomputersystems.com/AL/AL05/drlinkquerya.html
- Approved Land Use Certificate - required for any property located in a zoned area if any structure will be added to the property, if square footage will be added to or modified on an existing structure, or if there will be a change in the use of an existing structure. There may be other projects that require a Land Use Certificate as well. Determine if a property is zoned and if a Land Use Certificate is required by contacting the appropriate Planning & Zoning Dept. The Land Use Certificate must be applied for and issued BEFORE applying for the building permit.
- Baldwin County Planning & Zoning: apply online at www.Citizenserve.com/BaldwinCountyAL; for questions or assistance, contact Foley Office at 251-972-8523 or Robertsdale Office at 251-580-1655
- Town of Elberta Planning & Zoning: 251-986-6174
- Town of Magnolia Springs Planning & Zoning: 251-965-9888, ext 4904
- Town of Perdido Beach Planning & Zoning: 251-962-2200
- Construction Plans – must be drawn to scale provided in a digital PDF format; all residential construction requires construction plans to be signed and stamped by an Alabama licensed architect OR engineer. Please refer to the County's adopted building codes and supplemental code for additional information.
- Site Plan/Survey - must be drawn to scale; must indicate footprint of all existing structures as well as the proposed structure (with dimensions); must include all distances from property lines and from other structures on property, etc.
- Driveway Permit - confirmation from appropriate authority that culvert has been applied for, is existing, is not required, or is not county maintained:
- For driveway located on state highway, contact Alabama Dept. of Transportation (ALDOT) at 251-937-2086.
- For a driveway located on any road other than a state highway, apply online on the County's Highway Dept website. For questions, contact the Baldwin County Highway Dept.: North Baldwin: 251-937-0371, Central Baldwin 251-972-6897, or South Baldwin 251-990-4635
- Sewer Release or Health Department Release:
- For sewer service, contact the sewer utility company for the property’s area to obtain sewer release.
- For septic tanks, contact the Baldwin County Health Department at 251-947-3618 or 251-937-6935 to obtain septic tank release.
- Water Release - often called a water tap fee receipt; contact the water utility company for the property’s area to obtain water release. If a well is proposed and no public water utility will be used, a water release is not required.
- Name of Power/Electrical Utility Service Company
- Use of Building and/or Storage Area - what the building will be used for and what will be stored in the storage areas
- Any additional documentation that has been deemed necessary by the Building Department.
For a structure located in a Flood Zone, click to review the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance and Flood Zone Requirements. The following additional documents apply:
- Temporary Benchmark (TBM) or Elevation Certificate (EC) - TBM must be provided on a survey or statement signed and stamped by an Alabama registered surveyor; EC must be provided on an official FEMA Elevation Form that is signed and stamped by an Alabama registered surveyor; refer to www.fema.gov/glossary/elevation-certificate.
- Coastal A Zone or V Zone Certificate– required if structure will be located in a Coastal A Zone or in a V Zone; download the form here
- Permit to Develop in a Special Flood Hazard Area – after your apply for a permit and before the permit is issued, the contractor or property owner will be required to review and sign this Flood Permit form that will be provided to you by the Building Department
- Finished Construction Elevation Certificate - must be submitted after permit is issued, near the end of the project before scheduling the final building inspection; must be signed and stamped by an Alabama registered surveyor
For a structure located in a Floodway, the following additional document applies:
The following additional requirements apply for certain locations or conditions:
- Coastal Area Program Permit - for property located on Fort Morgan Peninsula beach front lot or any lot that intersects the Coastal Construction Control Line. For information, contact Baldwin County Building Dept., Janie Joiner at 972-6837
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Incidental Take Permit (ITP) - for property located on Fort Morgan Peninsula, contact 251-441-5868 or 251-441-5181
- Alabama State Lands Division Permit - for marine accessory (boathouse/pier/dock) built on any Baldwin County Waterways, contact 251-621-1216
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Permit - for marine accessory (boathouse/pier/dock) built on any Baldwin County Waterways and/or for property includes wetlands area, contact 251-690-2658