Baldwin County

Building Department Logo Horizontal Color


The Baldwin County Building Department issues permits and inspects construction (including new construction, additions, alterations, repairs, remodels, demolitions, manufactured homes, modular homes/buildings, swimming pools/spas, agricultural structures, accessory structures, marine accessories, mechanical/HVAC, electrical, plumbing, etc.) throughout the County's building permit jurisdiction as required by the International Building Codes. The Building Department enforces the building codes, ordinances, and resolutions adopted by the Baldwin County Commission (including the 2018 International Code Series, the County's Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance, etc.). 

The main goal of the Building Department is to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public by inspecting construction and verifying compliance with minimum acceptable standards. Inspections not only address the structural strength of buildings, but also healthy and energy-efficient environments, safe mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, as well as a multitude of fire- and life-safety provisions.

The County's building permit jurisdiction includes unincorporated areas of Baldwin County as well as the Towns of Elberta, Magnolia Springs, and Perdido Beach. For properties located inside any city limits other than those three towns listed above, the property owner or contractor should contact the specific city's building department office for permitting requirements and information. Click here for a list of municipalities inside Baldwin County and links to their websites.

Understanding the building permit process before taking on new construction or a renovation can help your project run smoother and smarter. It’s important to feel confident moving forward with a big project and knowing the process for getting a building permit can help put your mind at ease. If you know little about the process for getting a building permit, it’s okay. Click here for a great beginner’s guide to this process - PERMIT FAQs.

Know Before You Buy, Build, or Subdivide - Click to view helpful information before you buy any property in Baldwin County, before you build or install any structures, or subdivide any property.

Building Home

Baldwin County Seal White

  Contact Baldwin County Citizen Service Center
251.937.9561 • 251.928.3002 • 251.943.5061
Email Citizen Services
Baldwin County Commission Facility Closures
Email Webmaster for Web Inquiry

2020 Baldwin County Commission, Alabama. All rights reserved.
Powered by BCC CIS