Alert Baldwin Banner Image

Hazard Mitigation Assistance

Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) General Information

A FEMA Benefit Cost Analysis (BCA) must be performed on all projects to calculate the FEMA Benefit Cost Ratio (BCR). The BCR minimum is for the project benefit to be equal to at least one time the cost of the project.

***NFIP Flood Insurance is required for residential properties. *** A benefit (NOT A GRANT) of an NFIP Policy, Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) may be used alone or towards the local match/cost share but will not be available until the mitigation action has been completed and the property conforms to current codes and standards. The ICC benefit is a ONE-TIME payment from NFIP of UP TO $30,000.00. (Is this still true?)

Mitigation grants are Reimbursement Grants, meaning the local entity or homeowner pays for the work up front and seeks reimbursement from FEMA through approved methods. For homeowners, this is an important factor.

Work cannot begin prior to the date of award for mitigation grants, and there are NO EXCEPTIONS.

if your home has been declared "substantially damaged" by the Baldwin County Building Official or an Inspector, this cannot be reversed and the home must meet current codes and standards before a certificate of occupancy is issued and the home is considered "livable" again.

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP)

HAZARD MITIGATION GRANT PROGRAM (HMGP) is authorized under Section 404 of the Stafford Act and administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The HMGP provides grants to States and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures after a major disaster declaration. HMGP is implemented and managed by State Administrative Agencies (SAAs) and locally executed. The purpose of the HMGP program is to reduce the loss of life and property due to natural disasters and to enable mitigation measures to be implemented during the immediate recovery from a disaster. FEMA can fund up to 75 percent of the eligible costs of each project. Total Federal funding under the current program is based on a sliding scale of the estimated grants for individual assistance programs and public assistance projects. The standard cost match is 75% Federal and 25% Local.

Current Application Pending

  1. - DR-4563 HMGP (Hurricane Sally) - Application Results Pending Review by FEMA
  2. - DR-4503 HMGP (Covid-19)-Application Results Pending Review by FEMA

Join The Waiting list

Complete the pre-application documentation to get started

  1. Mitigation Interest Survey Form INDIVIDUAL-Baldwin
  2. Notice of Voluntary Interest
  3. Property Owner Questionnaire
  4. Declaration and Release Form (FEMA)
  5. Home Elevation Checklist
  6. Permission to Enter, Appraise, Survey, and Inspect - REVIEW
  7. Privacy Act Release - Template
  8. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR Mitigation Grants

Send completed forms to BCEMA Planning & Grants Division manager, Vernon Dandridge via email at to apply for HMA Grants through Baldwin County Commission and its EMA.

You may also call 251-972-6807, ext. 6809 and ask for Vernon or Ext. 7703 for Karen if you need help accessing the forms or emailing PDF versions of the forms

Upon Award, if awarded, following the submission to FEMA of a complete application, a Sub-recipient Agreement between property owner and local Sub-recipient Agreement between property owner and local government is required to document that the homeowner understands their responsibilities . This includes ultimate project cost financial responsibility, and proof of ability to meet financial obligations. County Mitigation Grant Staff will process reimbursement documents for the federal share. No work can begin on the project until FEMA makes an award, and all agreements are signed. The homeowner pays the contractor and submits documentation to the local government to submit the State Administration Agency who submits it to FEMA. The Homeowner will have to provide documentation to the local government entity that proves funds are available for the project.

If you do not live in the unincorporated areas (outside municipal limits), you will be directed to your jurisdiction's point of contact for mitigation.

If you need help from the Baldwin County Building Department /Floodplain Administrator regarding building codes, elevation certificate information, Floodplain Management Regulations, or Flood Zone location information , click here to visit their web page for information and guidance.

(Information is retained by the EMA Planning & Grants Division to help provide information and assistance from the local EMA, but it is the requestor's responsibility to confirm receipt and follow-up on opportunities and information needed for applications that may be completed and submitted.) SEE also IMPORTANT RESOURCES from Alabama EMA and FEMA below.

Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM)

Pre-Disaster Mitigation is a highly competitive annual opportunity for mitigation funding from FEMA. There are two programs within PDM that have a 75% Federal and 25% local cost share unless, in certain cases, a FMA project is deemed a Repetitive Loss or Severe Repetitive Loss.

  1. Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA)
  2. Building Resliient Infrastructure in Communities (BRIC)

Homeowners should contact their local jurisdiction if interested in mitigation assistance.

**Not all who apply with eligible applications and projects meeting program criteria will be awarded. This is due to the applications exceeding available federal funding

This process involves multiple government agencies at multiple levels of government (State, federal, and local) and is not a rapid process or "quick fix".

Baldwin County Seal White

  Contact Baldwin County Citizen Service Center
251.937.9561 • 251.928.3002 • 251.943.5061
Email Citizen Services
Baldwin County Commission Facility Closures
Email Webmaster for Web Inquiry

2020 Baldwin County Commission, Alabama. All rights reserved.
Powered by BCC CIS