Baldwin Regional Area Transit System (BRATS) is responsible for providing public transportation services in our community. In 2019, the Baldwin County Commission was awarded a grant from the Federal Transit Administration to upgrade the BRATS system with automatic scheduling technology, a smart phone app, and a passenger notification system.
BRATS launched this new technology on Monday, September 14, 2020 (one day before Hurricane Sally). The technology has now been active for several months. BRATS aims to use this new technology to enhance transit access for all residents of Baldwin County, increase efficiency, and reduce wait times, all while improving reliability!
Change can be challenging for all of us. However, the BRATS staff is committed to making this a smooth transition. A couple important items to be aware of:
- You will be able to schedule and manage your rides in an app, called “BRATS On-Demand”. The app will be available in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store by Wednesday, September 9th.
- If you prefer to schedule trips over the phone, you can continue to do so by calling the same number you are using now to book trips: 251-972-6817.
- You will now be able to book any type of trip up to one week in advance. You will be able to book rides on-demand (instantaneously) if your trips are within most of the following areas: Eastern Shore, Foley, Robertsdale, and Bay Minette. Trips between those areas will now require only 3 hours advance notice. Trips from areas outside the locations above will now require only 12 hours advance notice.
- All riders will be required to create an account before their first ride, you will be asked for your name, phone number, and an email address. If you don’t have an email address—no worries.
- You will now be able to pay for rides using a credit or debit card directly in the app. If you would like to pay with cash or check, you can purchase e-passes (ride credits) by sending payment to the Robertsdale BRATS office before your scheduled trip.
We will soon be sharing more details about changes in service hours and pricing -- the new service will be more flexible, while remaining just as affordable! Please do not hesitate to reach out to our scheduling team by phone (251) 972-6817 or by email at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.